Skip to main content

Safe & Secure with MEC’s Slug Loader

by Shari LeGate

A few weeks ago, I was at a local shooting range for a trap match.  This is not a small range. It’s one of the biggest ranges in the country and has a 5-star rating. There was also a sporting clays match going on as well so there were several hundred people milling around and shooting. There were two sporting courses and both were being used. One on each side of the trap fields, not on the sides of the trap fields, but in front and behind the trap line.


It was time for my squad to shoot and as I walked up to the trap line, I noticed about 300 – 350 yards out in front of this trap field was a 25ft. berm. Standing on top of the berm were several sporting clay shooters getting ready to shoot the sporting course. I pointed this out to the trapper remarking this was a huge safety issue, not to mention enormously distracting but was told it was fine. The range does this all the time when running multiple matches. I was told the berm is outside of the shot fall zone and trap and skeet loads won’t travel that far.


That berm and those shooters may be out of reach for a trap or skeet load, but they’re certainly not out of reach for a slug load. I shudder to think what would have happened if a slug load got mixed in with a trap/skeet load.  And it can happen. Who among us has not reached into our pouch and dropped a 20-ga load into a 12-ga barrel.  And the same could happen with a slug load. With most loaders, a slug load and a trap/skeet load are crimped exactly the same and you can’t tell the difference.


And that’s where the new MEC Slug Loader comes in. Not only does it make a consistent, effective load, the crimp on the MEC loader is a roll crimp, not a fold crimp. The end of the case is exposed so you can see it’s a slug load.  And that’s one of the many benefits of the new MEC Slug Loader.


Setting it up was extremely easy. Once I got my powder charge and wad column configurations in place, it was just a matter of adding the components and working my way through the last 3 stations for a complete shell.  Never having loaded a slug before, I was a little apprehensive,  but my first shell came out pretty good, one that I would not hesitate to load in my gun. It was simple and easy; just make sure you go through the step-by-step combination of components. The entire loading time process is the same as a regular trap or skeet load.   

After my recent experience at that particular shooting range, I appreciated so much more the effort and consideration MEC took with the design of their new Slug Loader. When it comes to shooting and loading, safety is paramount and at MEC, that’s just standard operating procedures.

Shari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q & A: Cameron Hicks, MEC Outdoors New Sponsored Shooter

MEC Outdoors is pleased to announce the talents of Cameron Hicks as an addition to the amazing line up of incredible shooters sponsoring the brand.  Currently, MEC Outdoors partners with several exceptional shooters such as Dave Miller, Dalton Kirchhoefer, Makayla Scott, Shari Legate, Travis Mears, Will Fennell, Dani Zeigler, Morgan Craft and Richard Marshall Jr. Cameron Hicks is a fast rising star within the disciplines of Sporting Clays and FITASC and most recently has gone head to head with legends like Anthony Matarese Jr. and Bill McGuire. He was M5 at Georgia State, M3 at the NE Regional, Won Bison Cup in Virginia, M1 at South Carolina State Championship, M4 at North Carolina State and won the 2020 Gamaliel Cup FITASC and most of those were just in the past few months! So you might be wondering, who is Cameron Hicks and what got him into this sport?  Recently, MEC Outdoors spoke to Cameron and answered this and more in an in-depth conversation about him, the sport, and why

Building A Skeet Field of Dreams Part 2

A lot has happened since my last post! Tons of schoolwork and practice.  With all the latest activities, the most exciting has been the Field of Dreams. We have both the skeet houses about 80% completed. That turned out be the easy part! There is a lot of planning and engineering that goes into a Skeet field, as we have learned. It’s not as simple as just building two houses. Everything must be on grade and all the angles correct.  Thankfully, two of our coaches have a background in engineering and survey, so they were able to lay everything out. This took a lot of time and extra careful planning and we got everything correct.  We are also thankful to have a few awesome carpenters on our team as coaches, and they have gotten the houses built. Recently, they got the stairs to the high house done, and will be putting rails on the stairs and top of the high house porch to make it safer to feed our MEC 300E Skeet Set machines dozens of boxes of White Flyer clays.

Meet MEC Outdoors New Sponsored Shooter

Hi! I’m Makayla Scott from White Sulphur Springs, WV. I am 16 years old, and I’m an avid sportswoman, clay shooter, and journalist. I am MEC Outdoors newest sponsored shooter! I’m so proud and excited to be a part of this awesome team!  I started shooting shotgun at 12 with my older brother. At the time, I was quiet and introverted, and I had no expectations as to where shooting sports would lead me in the future. Now, not only am I a brave, new person- I have a job writing for Womens Outdoor News, and I am a sponsored shooter for both amazing companies of CZ-USA and MEC Outdoors! I’m really looking forward to the future with MEC! Ever since I was 12, I have been helping my dad set machines for tournaments in exchange for practice rounds, and I worked with many other brands of machines. My first experience with MEC Machines was at my 4-H club when we bought two 300E Sporter machines, and I was amazed at their reliability and dependability. The machines were easy to adju